What's In It For Me?
That is the question most often heard when talking to people about joining SAW. It doesn’t make any difference where you live or what scrollsaw you have, the Scrollsaw Association of the World can help you enjoy a more fulfilling scrolling experience. Most importantly, you belong to a family of people that share a love for scrolling and as such, help each other. Also know that we are always looking for new ways to add value to your membership in the Scrollsaw Association of the World.
Here's what you get:
Welcome Packet - Immediately upon joining SAW, each member receives a packet of information that contains:
SAW ID card - Each member receives in their "Welcome" packet of information, an ID card that indicates that you are a member of the Scrollsaw Association of the World. This card is small enough to be carried in your wallet or purse. Showing your ID card can get you a discounted entry into all SAW sponsored events. This is a sample of what your ID card will look like.
SAWdust - The latest issue of the official SAW newsletter
Directory - A copy of the latest issue of the official SAW Directory
Subscription to the quarterly newsletter - SAW Dust - filled with informative articles on all aspects of scrollsawing. The newsletter regularly features, projects, products, books, videos and show reviews. In addition you get all of the latest information about what is happening in the Association. SAW Dust usually includes a few patterns free from our members. These patterns can be from new designers as well as well known designers. The patterns are a bonus. The primary purpose of the newsletter is to keep the membership informed of what is happening with SAW, not to provide patterns.
Annual Directory - This publication is produced in the first quarter of each year. You get a copy of the current Directory when you join, and any revisions as long as you remain a member. Here you will find a comprehensive:
- Resource list of available scrollsaw manufacturers
- Resource list of available scrollsaw books
- Resource list of available scrollsaw videos
- Mail order companies that deal with selling:
- Wood suppliers
- Pattern suppliers
- Blade suppliers
- Book Sellers
- Other hardware - Clocks, music box mechanisms, etc.
- Schools where you can gain scrollsaw instruction
- Geographic List of SAW members
- Alphabetic list of SAW members
- Current copy of SAW By-Laws
- Current list of SAW Local Chapters
- Current list of SAW officers and contact information
- SAW Expo -An attempt will made to move the location of the Expo from one part of the country to another each time, so that more people will have the opportunity to attend at one time or another. Each Expo will be filled with informative demonstrations and seminars, vendors, Scrollsaw Contest, raffles, etc. This will also be an opportunity to hold a regular SAW meeting and allow a face-to-face discussion with the officers and leaders of the Association.
- Local Chapters - SAW actively supports the formation of Local Chapters to help promote community on a more local basis. This can be a subset of an existing woodworking club or a new club. You can get in touch with scrollers in your own area and share information on local resources.
- Scrollsaw Contests -Scrollsaw Contests are held at a variety of picnics across the country some are held under the picnic givers guidelines. These allow you the opportunity to have your work judged against other scrollers. The culmination of these competitions will be at the SAW Expo which is run following the SAW Contest Guidelines.
- Discounts - Many Scrollsaw picnic givers have found it necessary to charge an entry fee to their picnics. They have also agreed to give a SAW member, displaying his/her membership ID card a discount. SAW members can also get a discount on entry fees at the Scrollsaw Contests. We are always looking for other ways to get discounts for SAW members.